Sunday, August 21, 2011

No major food rules for hungry Nadal


While Novak Djokovic credits his gluten-free regime for at least part of his runaway success this ATP season, Rafael Nadal has no time in interest in diets and strict food rules.

In fact the Spaniard takes pleasure in the table, saying that when it comes to chowing down, he's all over it. "I eat normal  food, but not too much," said the second seed at Cincinnati, who needed some fast turnaround time and refuelling after playing a three-and-a-half-hour third-round match and then an early quarter-final a day later.

"I have nothing of diet. When I go to the menu, I will see something that I would like to eat, and that's what I going to eat."

Nadal allows himself this small pleasure amid a highly structured life which took him into the tennis elite. "It's not going to affect a match much. The important thing is have a good rest, do the right things, drink a lot, and rest.

"But for sure I don't eat, like crazy, because I have to go on court. I would have loved to play later, but that's what happens when you play doubles also (he lost with Marc Lopez in that
event)."