Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Novak Djokovic enjoys simple start to US Open 2011


Novak Djokovic enjoyed the easiest of starts to the 2011 US Open after Conor Niland retired with food poisoning.

It was disastrous for the Irish player who had come through three qualifying rounds last week to earn him moment in the spotlight, Arthur Ashe stadium against the world number one but he was barely able to compete without throwing up and called it a day trailing 6-0, 5-1.  

The opening few rounds are all about conserving as much energy, even more so at the US Open, the most physically demanding of the slams so Djokovic will have been delighted to get off court so quickly.

“I don't think I'm lacking any time on the court or matches” Djokovic told the press. “This year has been a very long year.  So I really don't mind that I spend less time on the court. I think I've played well for these 45, 50 minutes that we had on the court.  It's unfortunate for my opponent, obviously.  He had food poisoning he told me after the match. But I felt great on the court, and that's something that's really important for the start of the tournament.”

“Im not really tired, you know, because I switched to the mode of Grand Slam focus.  Not really caring about what happens, it's just I'm trying to be in the present, trying to prepare well, and be 100% mentally and physically fit for the matches that are about to come here.”

Djokovic will be back in action on Thursday against Argentina’s Carlos Berlocq.