Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mardy Fish v Malek Jaziri – US Open 2011 live


You can bet on the US Open live in-play at bet365(credit: mirsasha)
Live Tennis Staff - 1 Sep 2011
Home favourite Mardy Fish is on Louis Armstrong Court again against qualifier Malek Jaziri.

Fish is about as confident as he’s ever been going into the US Open and he crushed Germany’s Tobias Kamke 6-2, 6-2, 6-1 on Monday. The American is at the peak of his powers and knows he has one of the best all-round games in men’s tennis.

All eyes are on him as the top ranked American yet Fish is going into the unknown as he’s never really been seen as a serious contender before.

“Certainly different pressure than I’ve ever felt. But it’s a great feeling,” he told the media. “It’s hard to say I expect to see myself in the second Saturday of the US Open because I’ve never done that before,” he said. “I’ve been close once, but I’d like to get there now. I really feel like I belong there. I can get there. If I were to pick a tournament, a Grand Slam that I could [win], it would be this one.”

Fish’s first big test may come against the powerful South African Kevin Anderson in round three but Jaziri should not test him today.

The Tunisian qualifier is enjoying his own Indian summer, hitting a career best ranking of 181 and reaching the main draw of a slam for the first time. He knocked out an out of sorts Thiemo De Bakker earlier in the week and will be loving his shot at the big time on a stadium court. Can he get a set ?  Probably not.