Friday, September 2, 2011

Novak Djokovic looks formidable in US Open second round win

Live Tennis Staff - 2 Sep 2011
Novak Djokovic demolished Argentina’s Carlos Berlocq for the loss of just two games in a devastating performance at the US Open last night.

Berlocq was never expected to test the top seed but few predicted it to be that one-sided as Djokovic routed the Argentine 6-0, 6-0, 6-2.

It was all Berlocq could do to avoid becoming the first man in 24 years to be triple bagelled.

“We are professionals on the court," Djokovic said. "We need to do our job, obviously to win, regardless of who is across the net. I know Carlos off the court. He is a nice guy. Today on the court I had an answer for every shot. I played great.

"I felt a little bit for him in a certain stage of the match in the third set where he was trying really hard to get back into the match. I have to give him credit for fighting."

Djokovic’s opening two performances have put to bed any suggestions that his shoulder may still be causing him problems. He’s dropped a grand total of just three games so far and looks every inch a champion in-waiting.

"The first two sets were ideal," he said. "I could not play better. I was getting a lot of balls back, I was ending the points when I needed to. I was making a lot of winners. My serve was okay, and my return was great.”